Soooo, the other day in my excitement and enthusiasm in exploring, I tried a new technique that almost wrecked this lovely 30″ x 40″ oil painting that I’m rather fond of: “Tango Heat”. AAAACCCCKKK (and a few other choice words)!
I had finished this painting and thought to myself that I’d like to try putting on a thick, tinted top coat that would show brush strokes. I wanted to try another way of giving my painting the feeling of energy being emitted from the subject.
Now, I have used cold wax medium as a top coat on oil paintings before with success. So, with just a small knot in my stomach, I bravely took out my cold wax medium, some odorless mineral spirits and added a bit of raw sienna to give it that warm glow. I grabbed a big bristly brush and started applying the medium. After about 1/3 of the way through, to my horror, I noticed all these “bits” starting to appear on the painting. I’m thinking they must have been bits of lint or dust as the painting had been sitting for a while and I’d neglected to wipe it down. Fortunately, I was able to scrape it off right away so no harm was done, but that was a definite “holy crap” moment!!
Back to the drawing board!!